August 8, 2007

Literacy, Hip-hop Style

I enjoy adrants.com. Sometimes I pick up really cool things there and even though they're American, they set my mind buzzing.

Literacy is something that really concerns me because I believe that it is difficult for people to truly have dignity and humanity in our society when they have been denied literacy. Have you ever though how humiliating it must be for an adult to have to ask a child or grandchild to read official documents for him/her. Or how unimportant pieces of paper, like accounts, official notices, warnings etc are to someone who is illiterate.

As a compulsive reader, anything that deals with literacy catches my eye so when I saw this rapper- approach "read the mothafuckin' book!" I thought hell why not. Here is the story:

Don't Just Encourage Literacy, Pistolwhip People with It!

Jeremy over at Pop-PR sent us a link to this alleged PSA, which takes place at Raphael De La Ghetto High School, where very scary things happen. (Really. It was like a lower-budget version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall.")

The purpose of the crunked-out video is to encourage disenfranchised youth to "read a mothafuckin' book!" Users are also led to Not a Rapper, the official website of Bomani D'Mite Armah, "the poet with a hip-hop style."

Read more

No comments: