August 16, 2007

Elvis - 30 years - Amazing Graceland





It is 30 years today since Elvis Presley died in his bathroom at Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee.

When I was planning my trip to the USA two years ago I knew I had to go to Graceland and I manoeuvred it so that I could be there during Elvis week, which culminated with the candlelight vigil on the night of the 16th.

Memphis was not at all as I had thought it would be, it is quite a small city - to me it felt like a big Southern town that just kept on growing, with the Mississippi right there, looking big and brown and muddy.

But Graceland itself was small, with overfilled little rooms and we were threaded though it like a production line. Everyone snapping their digitals and cellphone cameras in the places where we were allowed to photograph. Portraits of Elvis on the wall.

I wrote a story about it for Altitude P44 August issue - there is a flip though digital magazine on their website for Elvis fans.

No comments: