July 20, 2007

Change your Browser to Firefox

I spend a lot of time on the Net interacting with Americans - I write for some American websites and was getting confused with changing my spellchecker from UK to US English. I also had all the Net-addicts telling me to change from IE to Mozilla Firefox 2.

I just didn't understand why. Some ranted about Microsoft's control and others just loved the idea of open-source.

I was terrified that I'd lose my bookmarks when I changed and that it would be a hassle to get used to something as essential to my Internet mobility as my browser. Then one day, in a moment of weakness I landed on a page with a Firefox button, something like this - and I thought, what the hell.

It installed effortlessly and very quickly, all my bookmarks came across too and I have more control over them now in Firefox.

Another great thing is that once I had logged on to each of the many, many places I visit that require passwords, and saved them Firefox remembered them and I didn't have to type them in again.

The best feature for me is the little red line that indicates a word it doesn't recognise (recognize) - Firefox speaks American. So I can still use my spell checkers but I have a safety net in Firefox.

I know Firefox has lots of plug ins and goodies like an email programme and photo sharing and stuff I don't use, but if they work as well as the bits I do use, I can recommend them all.

No comments: