March 16, 2007

Removing me won't solve the problem




I saw this amazing post on Wooster Collective:
"i noticed how the police would move the homeless from street to street, doorway to doorway around the town. this gave me the inspiration for my latest piece "removing me wont solve the problem" a kind of twist on the removal of graffiti."... Mike Newton"

I'm always amused at the outrage and fuss over graffiti. I was heartened when the eThekwini municipality decided to erect a Graffiti wall at the skate park on the beachfront - but that was once again a "launch with no follow-up."

I don't know about elsewhere but South Africans are great at launches. We spend gazillions on glitzy and glam events to launch projects, websites, programmes etc and then... all the energy is gone.

The websites become old and stale; the programmes fizzle out or someone pushes off with the money and the projects sort of stutter on and dwindle away.

Some bravely soldier on with no maintenance until they fall apart.

But, I digress.

Removing the homeless, the streetkids ie cleaning up the cities before big events is just cosmetic - it doesn't solve the problem.

No comments: