March 8, 2009

International Women's Day 2009

So what does International Women's Day 2009 mean to you?

Nothing much?

Have we become so desensitized but all the "anniversaries, commemorations and awareness days" that we are just immune to much else other than our own survival - which seems to be getting tougher by the day?

I guess I'm lucky because my work and my life brings me into contact on a daily basis with a wide spectrum of people - most far less fortunate than I am as far as money, opportunities, education and all the other everyday building blocks of our live that Western people just take for granted.

It keeps my feet firmly planted on the ground.

So today, I honor the women of the world, especially the women of Africa who suffer a triple oppression - most are POOR, BLACK and WOMEN.

I was thinking of a song to play and so many came flying into my brain because I love female vocalists and I know plenty of songs, but then on VH1 which I have on came the song I want to play for today - No Woman No Cry


1 comment:

Unknown said...

My word, didn't even know that it was today!
Nice post!