April 13, 2008

Photos of Zimbabwe Currency (banknotes)



All the time we read about inflation in Zimbabwe that is it running at - goodness knows how many thousand percent but I don't think it really hit home for me until I saw a real genuine Zim banknote. A note for 10 million Zimbabwe dollars - with an expiration date on it - 30 June 2008. (Do they know something that we don't know?)

I believe it is worth about R2,00 or $0,25. It is a beautiful note - well designed and feels substantial, not a cheapie -with a watermark nog, and immediately I wondered how much it cost to print the note and how many of them they printed.

I'm sure the printing costs per note were more than the face value of the banknote. So I had to get out my camera and take a picture of the Zimbabwe currency so that I could share it with everyone else who wouldn't believe me when I showed them these beautifully made banknotes with the expiry date.

We sure live in interesting times.

No comments: