April 27, 2007

Freedom Day in Durbs



For South Africans Freedom Day is like the day the Americans describe when they talk about remembering where they were when they heard "who shot JFK" (no, not who shot JR!)

I guess we all have our stories about that day. Stories of standing in the long queues, knowing that our county was embarking on a whole new journey. Now, 13 years down the road I sometimes feel the transformation is too slow. Then I see the uproar about the street name changes and once again I'm amazed at people's lack of capacity for change - I don't know if its fear or insecurity or resentment...

Today I just want to post a few quotes and a picture I took yesterday at the Radha Radhanath Temple of Understanding in Chatsworth (also known as the Hare Krishna temple)- I wish you all feelings of peace - Happy Freedom Day!

We do not want to be reminded that it is we, the indigenous people, who are poor and exploited in the land of our birth.
Steven Biko
Being black is not a matter of pigmentation - being black is a reflection of a mental attitude.
Steven Biko

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

"I believe that our vision of democracy in South Africa will be realized, because there is a growing number of people who are coming to accept the fact that in South Africa we are a multi-racial community - whether we like it or not. I am not prepared to concern myself with such questions as: "Where have you come from?", "Do you come from the North?" or "Did you come from Europe?" It is not important.

What is important for our situation is that we are all here. That we cannot change: We are all here, and no one desires to change it or should desire to change it. And since we are all here, we must seek a way whereby we can realize democracy, so that we can live in peace and harmony in this land of ours. More and more people are coming to accept that and to work for it."
Inkosi Albert Luthuli, President General of the African National Congress - 1958.

No comments: